If you have a problem, fix it. But train yourself not to worry, worry fixes nothing. - Ernest Hemingway

Monday 5 October 2015

Ghālib


1
It’s good that
You’ve broken your promise
I would have died of happiness
If you hadn’t

2
The news that you’re coming today
Has spread like wildfire
And on this special day
I don’t even have a mat to offer you

3
I gave my life,
But the life was His.
And the truth is
I’m yet to repay my debt.

4
The wound has healed
But the bleeding hasn’t stopped
My work had petered out
Before it began

5
She trusts me as her only lover
But the sad story is
She’s angry with me
If anyone else sighs

6
I wished to be free
From the shackles of her love
But she wouldn’t even
Let me die

7
Every drop of my heart
Roars like the ocean
Should you even ask
If I am hers?

8
Every breath of mine
Is immersed in ecstasy
So how does it matter
If the saqi ignores me?

9
She’s neither understood me
Nor will she ever do, Oh God!
Please give her a new heart
Even if you didn’t give me a new tongue to talk with

10
She’s asking,
‘Who is Ghālib?’
Someone please tell me,
What I should say.

Translated on Monday, 05 October 2015 / Kolkata

No comments:

Post a Comment

I will be happy to read your views, approving or otherwise. Please feel free to speak your mind. Let me add that it might take a day or two for your comments to get published.